A neat garden can be a source of joy and pride, but this requires work. With the right tools, you can get much done in very little time, and keep your garden immaculately manicured. With the right hedge trimmer, your bushes, hedges and shrubs will always look their best, but which hedge trimmer is the best?
This 2018 top 10 hedge trimmers review is aimed at solving that problem, and providing you with a list of the currently best hedge trimmers in the market. It will also provide you with tips on how to make the right purchase.
Types Of Hedge Trimmers
There are 4 major types of hedge trimmers based on their physical characteristics and power systems. These 4 types of hedge trimmers are as follows:
• Hedge Shears: These are large manual shears that require nothing else but human effort to use.
• Gas Powered Trimmers: These use an internal combustion engine and can be very powerful.
• Corded Trimmers: They plug into a power source and are lightweight and affordable.
• Cordless Trimmers: These are battery powered and therefore the most portable.
List of 10 Best Hedge Trimmers in 2019
|TABOR TOOLS Hedge Shears for Trimming Borders, Boxwood, and Bushes. Telescopic Hedge Clippers 25 Inch Handles with 8 Inch Extension. B212A. (Wavy Blade, Extendable Steel Handles)||Buy on Amazon|
|Ryobi 24 in. 40-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer - Battery and Charger Not Included by Ryobi (Renewed)||Buy on Amazon|
|Sun Joe HJ602C 2-in-1 Cordless Grass Shear | 3.6 V||Buy on Amazon|
|VonHaus 2 in 1 Cordless Grass Shears Hedge Trimmer Handheld Wheeled Extension Handle, Gray, 2-in-1||Buy on Amazon|
|Ryobi One+ 18 in. 18 Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer without Battery and Charger||Buy on Amazon|
|Remington RM4522TH 4.5-Amp 22-Inch Electric Hedge Trimmer With Titanium Blades||Buy on Amazon|
|Toro 51490 Corded 22-Inch Hedge Trimmer||Buy on Amazon|
|Makita XHU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 22" Hedge Trimmer, Tool Only||Buy on Amazon|
|DEWALT DCHT820B 20v Max Hedge Trimmer (Tool Only)||Buy on Amazon|
|BLACK+DECKER HT22 Hedge Trimmer, 22"||Buy on Amazon|
10. Tabor Tools Telescopic Hand Shears
This pair of shears with telescopic handles from Tabor Tools solves many problems at once. You can use it for the precise trimming and shaping of your plants. It can also be extended from its regular length of 25 inches, to 33 inches. This offers you flexibility in cutting nearby and high or difficult to reach branches. In order to protect the plants, and help them to grow better, Tabor makes the blades with wavy patterns and forged carbon steel that stays sharp for long. Integrated bumpers make these shears a joy to use, and Tabor Tools also includes tips and tricks for the perfect prune.
- Telescopic handles allow you to reach any branch and get it trimmed
- Forged carbon steel blades with wavy patterns for precision cuts
- Shock guard bumpers absorb most vibrations to give you a smooth experience
- Package includes pruning tips and tricks
9. GreenWorks 22102 18-Inch 2.7-Amp Corded Hedge Trimmer
GreenWorks is a company dedicated to the development of ‘Green’ products. This means electrically powered and environmentally friendly tools. This trimmer weighs just 5 lbs., has an 18-inch long dual-action steel blade, and a lock-off switch which is helpful in preventing accidental start-ups. It has just 1 speed of 3,200 SPM, but it cuts and trims everything with ease. It’s cutting capacity is 3/8 inch, and the package includes a user’s manual.
- Corded electric trimmer for high-efficiency trimming
- 18-inch steel blade with dual-action design
- Lightweight and less fatigue causing unit
- 2.7-amp electric motor delivers maximum power
8. Sun Joe HJ602C Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The Sun Joe HJ602C from Snow Joe is a 2-in-1 power tool, designed for freedom and versatility. It comes with 2 blade-attachments that can either turn it into grass shears for trimming the lawn after mowing, or into a shrubber for manicuring your hedges. Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery, this tool can be used anywhere you desire. It’s 2.11 lbs. lightweight and ergonomically designed handle makes it a tool you can use for as long as you like, and without discomfort. Snow Joe further supports this trimmer with a 2-year warranty.
- Converts easily from a grass shear to a hedge trimmer
- Rechargeable lithium ion battery for cordless freedom
- Ergonomically designed and lightweight
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty
7. VonHaus 2-In-1 Grass Shears & Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This VonHaus 2-in-1 tool is designed to be adaptable to a range of gardening jobs. Delivered with 2 blade attachments, it will either function as a hedge or lawn trimmer. The shear blade has a 4-inch width, while the hedge trimmer has a 7-inch length. Also included is a trolley-wheel attachment, with a telescopic arm. This wheel and arm converts the power tool into a full-fledged lawn edge trimmer. The telescopic arm will extend from 20 to 34 inches, while the rechargeable 7.2 Volt lithium-ion battery guarantees you a long cordless session.
- Can be easily switched from grass shears to hedge trimmer
- Includes a trolley-wheel attachment for easy trimming of lawn edges
- Stylish and colorful
- Lithium ion battery for cordless freedom
6. Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt 18-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer
The Ryobi ONE+ 18 Volt cordless hedge trimmer is designed to get the job done as quickly as possible. It’s 18 inches long dual-action blades produce enough cutting power for gardens up to 1/3 acre in size. This trimmer works with all ONE+ tools and batteries. It can either be bought without or with a battery and charger. The motor will produce up to 2,400 SPM (Strokes Per Minute), it features a wrap-around handle for better cutting control, and Ryobi backs it up with a 3-year warranty.
- 18 inches long blade for quick and efficient trimming
- Lovely design and colors
- Cordless trimmer allows you complete freedom
- Slices branches up to 3/8 inches thick
- Backed by a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty
5. Remington RM5124TH 24-Inch Dual-Action Titanium Hedge Trimmer
Remington’s RM5124TH is a powerful machine for dealing with shrubs and hedges. This 5-amp trimmer is designed to sever branches that are up to 3/4 inch thick. With so much power coming directly from the mains outlet, and the blade’s tips coated with titanium, this is one machine you can rely on to keep performing, year after year. The blade will even rotate up to 90 degrees, allowing you to make right-angled cuts. Remington supports it with a 2-year warranty.
- Titanium coated blades provide maximum cutting performance
- Lightweight design and ergonomic handle
- Severs branches up to 3/4 inch thick
- 2-year warranty
4. Toro 51490 22-Inch Corded Hedge Trimmer
Featuring a 4-amp electric motor, Toro’s 51490 is a corded hedge trimmer with more than enough power. It’s cutting blade is 22 inches long, and made from hardened steel. They will easily cut through branches up to 9/16 inch thick. This blade’s dual-action mechanism makes it even more efficient. Toro added a grip handle that improves the user’s comfort, while reducing the onset of hand fatigue. It weighs 6 lbs., features a cord-lock to prevent unplugging it accidentally, and Toro backs it with a 2-year warranty.
- Powerful 4 amp motor delivers enough branch-severing power
- Grip handles improve comfort and reduce fatigue
- 22-inch long cutting blade with hardened steel for durability
- Cuts branches up to 9/16 inch thick
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
3. Makita XHU02Z 18-Volt Hedge Trimmer
Makita XHU02Z is a 22-inch hedge trimmer. It features Makita’s 18-Volt batteries, which have very fast charging times. The trimmer has a compact and an ergonomic design. It is 38 inches in length, and weighs only 7.4 lbs. Makita also added a safety feature which makes the unit only operate when there are 2 hands holding it. Blades can also be changed quickly and easily, noise level is only 87 dB, and Makita backs this trimmer with a 3-year warranty.
- 22-inch blade for better efficiency
- Low-noise operation at only 87 dB
- Cushioned system reduces vibrations
- Makita-made electric motor delivers 1,350 SPM cutting speed
- Backed by 3-year warranty
2. Dewalt DCHT820B 22-Inch 20-Volt Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Dewalt’s DCHT820B weighs just 8.8 lbs., but it packs enough power to help you get your hedges trimmed as fast as possible. Dewalt sells the battery separately, but the electric motor produces enough power to tear through branches as thick as 3/4 inch easily. The 22-inch length of the cutting blade also allows you get more work done quickly. Dewalt is a well-known brand in the power-tools industry, and this is because they make great tools. Dewalt backs this one with a 90-day money-back guarantee and a 3-year warranty.
- Powerful electric motor for quick job completions
- 22-inch long cutting blade for higher efficiency
- Cuts branches up to 3/4-inch thick
- 90-day money back guarantee and 3-year warranty
1. Black & Decker HT22 22-Inch Hedge Trimmer
Black & Decker is another well-known brand in the power tools industry. The HT22 delivers enough power in a compact package to have your hedges perfectly manicured in no time. Delivering enough power from 4 amps of electric current, the motor powers the 22 inches long blade at 3,400 SPM (Strokes Per Minute). It will slice branches up to 3/4 inch thick, while being designed to produce as little vibrations as possible. This trimmer weighs just 5.5 lbs., it plugs directly into an AC power source, and a safety-lock switch prevents the accidental startup of the motor.
- 22 inches long dual action blade for faster trimming
- Extra-hardened steel blades for longer sharpness
- Easily slices branches up to 3/4-inch thick
- Cord retention system prevents accidental unplugging
- Powerful 4-amp motor provides enough power for fast cutting
- Lock-off switch prevents unit from starting accidentally
We have come to the end of our 2018 top 10 hedge trimmers, and as you can see, all of these top 10 tools are of high quality and engineering. We have shown you our number #1 ranked product. You are free to choose it, or even decide on a cordless trimmer, the choice is yours.